RSS

Two Buckets

25 Nov

Back in the day, I was able to mentally juggle four to six important thought threads throughout the day. I knew what I needed to do, the steps I needed to take to complete each task, and how to integrate the steps into a seamless day that would end with all of my work done and dinner on the table. I didn’t even consciously coordinate it, the thoughts just sifted through my mind as I multitasked with a vengeance. Farm chores, work, house chores, writing, meal prep, and even special things like entertaining or spinning and knitting a project … they all got done.

Back in the day.

These days, it’s completely different. These days, I have two buckets in my mind for information. One is marked “Necessary for Survival” and the other is marked “Junk Mail.” If I don’t consciously make the connection that something needs to be remembered and stuffed in the “Necessary for Survival” bucket, then it slips into the “Junk Mail” bucket where it may never surface again.

I guess this is what my grandma meant when she said getting old wasn’t for sissies.

What’s really annoying is that this change didn’t happen gradually. One day I was clicking along on all six cylinders, the next I’d fallen off the cliff into my two-bucket system. Now I write lists, make notes, send myself emails, and post everything even remotely vital to Google Calendar. Anything that falls between “Necessary for Survival” and “Junk Mail” has to be recorded somewhere or I’ve lost it.

I find this all vastly annoying. Hense, this blog post to whine about it. But now I have something else that needs doing. I just wish I remembered what it was. *sigh*

7 Comments

Posted by on November 25, 2017 in Pegg's Musings

Tags: , , ,

7 responses to “Two Buckets

1. Robin Patchen

November 25, 2017 at 9:03 am

Sounds far too familiar!

Liked by 1 person

2. Linda W. Yezak

November 25, 2017 at 9:24 am

I have three. “Necessary for Survival,” “Junk Mail,” and one that’s already full of crap, the “I’ll Remember” bucket.

Liked by 1 person

3. nmusch

November 25, 2017 at 10:16 am

Oh boy, do I get it. It’s not just the thought threads, but the energy to follow them through. This morning I had a story idea surprise me, and while that’s cool and all, at the same time I’m thinking, “No! NO! I can’t process another thing.” I like Linda’s bucket number #3.

Liked by 1 person

• Pegg Thomas

November 25, 2017 at 10:48 am

If I had a third bucket, pretty sure it would be labeled “Stuff I Think I’ll Remember – But I Won’t.”

Liked by 1 person

4. Andrea Stephens

November 25, 2017 at 11:18 am

Pegg, I love this post! I can relate. My buckets are labeled “husband’s medical needs” and “other stuff.” There are so many times I can’t remember something during conversation, but it will wake me up at 2am or some other no longer relevant time.
    I’m glad we have technology to help but I still use post-it notes, just in case.

Liked by 1 person

5. MrsTina Rice

November 25, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Oh Pegg, I can so relate to this! I am forever writing myself notes about something I want to remember or I will forget it. Years ago when I was driving (I don’t drive anymore due to health problems) I would even put a sticky note on the stirring wheel so I would not forget something I needed to take with me.
    Blessings, Tina